Friday, August 1, 2014

Our Favorite Travel Planning Tools


After a crazy week, we're excited to be planning few little getaways to make the most of summer before it slips away. Nothing fancy, we'll probably just throw the dogs in the car and go camping for a few long weekends, but I'm so excited to get away, see the ocean, and relax!

So today we thought we'd put together a little guide on our travel-planning process. We share a few of our favorite tools for finding the best places to go and things to do. Do you have any tips or favorite tools when you're planning a trip?



Deciding Where to Go

Tools: Google, Google Maps, TripAdvisor, Pinterest

So you have this rough idea in your head that you should go somewhere, but you haven't pinpointed an actual destination yet. Maybe you have an idea that you want a beach, or a forest, or a spa (all of the above wouldn't hurt!) Maybe you know that you want to go camping, or parasailing, or antique shopping. Maybe you need to be back at your desk on Monday morning, so you're limited by a short drive or quick flight.

Take this information and head to your favorite search engine. I love looking through the Traveler Photo Gallery on a destination's TripAdvisor page - this gives you a good idea of what you'll actually see. Pinterest can be great for finding things like "The Top Five Beaches in the Midwest," and it's always helpful to drag your way around a Google Map to understand the logistics of a potential destination. If you know you only have 48 hours for your vacation, you probably don't want to spend 20 of them driving (unless a road trip is calling your name). Think of searchable phrases that will help you pinpoint the location you're looking for. For one upcoming trip, I started by searching for the "closest ocean beach to Ohio" and found a TripAvdisor forum with a few suggestions. Then I headed to Google Maps and started dragging it around to find options that might be off the beaten path, stopping to Google anything I found interesting. It took a little time, but I found exactly what I wanted.

Deciding Where to Stay

Tools: TripAdvisor, Google, Airbnb

Growing up, my family always rented cottages and vacation houses for our getaways. It stuck with me, and to this day I'll always choose a private house or apartment over a resort. I'm a huge fan of camping and hostels for budget travel (which, if we're being honest, is the only kind I'm in any position to do). Whether you're looking to experience the local culture or kick back and unwind, where you stay can have a huge impact on your trip. With a little research you can be sure you know what you're getting into.

AirBnb is usually my first stop. Even if they don't have anything in your budget/timeline, it can be a great way to get a look at the neighborhoods, read reviews on specific locations, and help you determine things like walking distance and safety. Naturally, TripAdvisor is your go-to for accommodation reviews and suggestions (and don't forget to check the forums!) If you want to focus on a very specific location, zoom close on a Google Map and look for little bed symbols.

Deciding What to Do

Tools: TripAdvisor, Fodor's, Yelp

I don't know about you, but this is my favorite part! Forums like you'll find on TripAdvisor and Fodor's offer a wealth of insider info on the best things to do, eat, and see anywhere in the world. Take a look through old threads. Chances are all your questions will be answered many times. Create a new thread and tell other posters exactly what your situation and interests are (Will you be traveling with kids? Do you like wildlife or nightlife? etc) Do you research on the area first, the more information you can give other posters, the better your response will be. 

Deciding where to eat is usually a similar process to deciding where to eat at home. Yelp is almost everywhere these days. But there's always something to be said for stopping at the hole-in-the-wall mom & pop shop with the most delicious smells wafting form the kitchen.

What about you? Do you have a good tip for planning a trip? We'd love some pointers!

2 comments

  1. If I'm doing a particularly large trip then I love to buy the lonely planet book to have a good read! Tripadvisor is a staple. I love booking all my hotels on hotels.com as well as you get every tenth night free! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

dearest darling. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.